Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Did you grow up listening to Tchaikovsky?

  The definition of high culture, as stated by the nineteenth century English author Matthew Arnold and discussed in David Inglis’ “Culture and Everyday Life”, involves two key aspects: it is “the ‘best’ works of art that have ever been produced” and the effects that these works have on people who are exposed to them on a regular basis. For the purpose of personally experiencing high culture I listened and meditated on one of my all-time favorite classical pieces, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker Suite (Part 8) “Waltz of the Flowers”. Tchaikovsky wrote the Nutcracker Suite to coincide with a ballet to the story of “The Nutcracker and the Mouse King”. For its first performance, the composer made a selection of eight sections from the ballet before the ballet's December 1892 premiere, forming The Nutcracker Suite, Op. 71a, intended for concert performance. The suite was first performed on March 19th, 1892 at an assembly of the St. Petersburg branch of the Musical Society. The suite became instantly popular, but the complete ballet did not begin to achieve its world-wide popularity until around the mid-1950s. My mother, being a professional musician, would always put on the Nutcracker Suite around Christmas time. The “Waltz of the Flowers” is my favorite section of the suite, because the ending moves me to unexplainable ends.
The “Waltz of the Flowers” starts of very methodical and sweet. The way the wind ensemble introduce the piece and the way the harp beautifully and articulately moves up and down scales cause me to visualize the opening of a book, the start of something new and pure. As the waltz continues it picks up tempo and intensity, yet still keeps its intricacy and its ‘sweet and light’ (p 77) nature. After a short venture into something different and a key change there is a final return to the main melody. At this point the orchestra just starts going nuts; increasing intensity, difficulty, and complexity until a final climax and a ‘big bang’ ending.
When I truly try to just experience this music and allow it to move my emotions I find that I stop trying to musically analyze every intricate part, but merely take the piece as a whole and allow it to spark visualizations and inspiration. If I were truly honest I’d have to say that I did feel a “higher” experience intellectually than if I were to listen to something more mainstream like Lady Gaga. Enjoying the art of classical music, such as the Nutcracker Suite, is truly a blessing passed down by my mother. Without her I can’t say that I would even appreciate this type of art. That probably has a lot to do with why I still love listening to classical music to this day.  I would say this may be the same for other people as well. Children who grow up being exposed to “high culture” often have more of a tendency to enjoy it as adults. I would argue that someone who grows up only listening to the country tunes of Tim McGraw or boy band sensations like the Backstreet Boys and *NSYNC, can’t get a equivalent ‘high’ or appreciation from the creations of musical studios to that of an imaginative child listening to a recording of a live orchestra playing the Nutcracker Suite.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your point that growing up listening to classical music gives one a greater appreciation and understanding of it. When I was little my mom played classical music at home and in the car and I still really like it, even though I listen to a lot of different music types. I also think that people who have taken music lessons and understand music have a better appreciation of complex classical pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore the Nutcracker Suite. It is one of my favorite ballets. I agree that listening to classical has a completely different effect on people than listening to mainstream music.
    To think that both the Nutcracker Suite and Lady Gaga's poker face are both considered in the same category is very sad.
    You make the statement about children never being exposed to high culture music, the argument I make here is that I do not believe that there are many children out there that have absolutely never heard one piece of classical music. However at the same time I understand what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wasn't clear. when I said 'exposed, I meant 'consistently exposed'- daily or weekly.

    ReplyDelete